GED Age Waiver (MPS Adult Education)Solutions
If you are under the age of 19 and you want to take the GED, you need an age waiver from the Minnesota Department of Education. We can help you determine if you qualify for the age waiver.
Qualifications, Registration, and/or Fees
Residents of Minnesota between the ages of 16 and 18 may take the GED tests if they qualify for an age waiver. You must apply for an age waiver using the form provided by the Minnesota GED Office. An Age Waiver must be approved by the Minnesota GED Office at the Minnesota Department of Education before you will be allowed to test. Age waiver applicants must not be enrolled in high school.
There are six possible ways for an applicant to qualify for an age waiver. An applicant needs to meet ONE of the following six conditions:
- Applicant has been dropped from the school’s attendance rolls for at least one full calendar year.
- Applicant's high school class has already graduated.
- A prospective employer indicates on signed/dated letterhead that applicant must successfully complete the GED Battery to qualify for employment.
- A prospective postsecondary institution or financial aid office indicates on signed/dated letterhead that applicant must successfully complete GED Battery to qualify for acceptance or to begin the financial aid process.
- The military indicates on signed/dated letterhead that applicant must successfully complete GED Battery to qualify for acceptance.
- An Adult Education program or other recognized educational, social service, or correctional agency indicates that successful completion of the GED Test Battery is a part of the applicant's written individual learning plan, AND also provides signed/dated documentation showing the applicant has, under the supervision of a proctor, either: Option #1) taken the Reading Language Arts and Mathematics subtests of the GED Ready and scored at least 150 on each test or; Option #2) taken the Tests of Adult Basic Education (TABE) Form A (only) Reading and Mathematics subtests and scored at least 650 on each test.